Including Okinawa, there are 8 prefectures in Kyushu. The mountains may not be as high as you’ll find in other parts of Japan, but they are no less beautiful.
All Kyushu hiking posts listed below.
- Tomidake Short Hike (遠見岳)Tomidake (遠見岳) is a nice little (322.9m) mountain in Hisayama, Fukuoka prefecture. It’s only a short climb, but I think it’s a great way to spend a morning! The shrine at the trail head is a beauty and the peak has a good view. The trail starts at Inotenshokodai Shrine (伊野天照皇大神宮). Although not particularly big,Continue reading “Tomidake Short Hike (遠見岳)”
- Mt. Tachibana’s Beautiful TreesMt. Tachibana (立花山) is a great hike not far from Fukuoka city. It has 3 things going for it – a nice city view, beautiful old camphor trees, and castle ruins. It’s also one of Kyushu’s 100 Famous Mountains. The 367.1 meter mountain lies in Shingu-machi (home to Kyushu’s only IKEA!). It’s a short hikeContinue reading “Mt. Tachibana’s Beautiful Trees”
- Military Ruins in the Kitakyushu Mountains (Takakura Fort)Near the popular Mt. Adachi in Kitakyushu city, Fukuoka pref. sits Mt. Takakura. The peak is not worth writing home about, but hiding in the forest here you can find Takakura fort (高蔵堡塁). One of a few in the area, Takakura Fort is my clear favorite because of its relative remoteness and its size. UnlikeContinue reading “Military Ruins in the Kitakyushu Mountains (Takakura Fort)”
- Good morning, TakatoriyamaThis morning I went to Takatoriyama to set up my trail camera. I parked my car at Fukuchiyama dam. There are 2 courses from Fukuchiyama dam. The course from Torino shrine is wild and a little dangerous, so since it was still dark, I took the more relaxing Uchigaiso course. This course follows a niceContinue reading “Good morning, Takatoriyama”
- Takatoriyama 633m (Fukuoka)Date: November 23, 2019 Time: 06:46~09:38 (2hrs 52mins) Distance: 6.5km Ascent/descent: 629m/633m Data recorded using the YAMAP app. This was the first time for me climbing Takatoriyama in its own right. Usually it’s part of a greater hike to Fukuchiyama. But I wanted to try the trail that goes straight up Takatoriyama from Uchigaso damContinue reading “Takatoriyama 633m (Fukuoka)”
- Inunakiyama and the Old Inunaki Tunnel 583.7m (Fukuoka)Inunaki in Miyawaka city, Fukuoka prefecture is infamous. There are urban legends and ghost stories surrounding the old Inunaki village and the Inunaki tunnel. I set out to take a look at the old Inunaki tunnel which is supposedly one of Japan’s most haunted spots. I parked my car at Inunaki dam early in theContinue reading “Inunakiyama and the Old Inunaki Tunnel 583.7m (Fukuoka)”